The Markowitz laboratory studies the
genetics of colon cancer.
Key questions that we
1. What genes contribute to the growth of colon cancers?
2. What genes cause colon cancer to occur in certain families?
3. How can we detect and diagnose colon cancer while it is in
its early and curable stages?
Case GI SPORE
Sandy Markowitz is the Principal Investigator of the Case GI
SPORE, an NCI Designated Specialized Program of Research
Excellence in Gastrointestinal Cancers.
The Case GI SPORE is one of only 7 such NCI funded centers in
The Markowitz laboratory works closely with the SPORE team
across a set of key research questions that the SPORE is asking
and that include:
1. Determining the role of the 15-PGDH tumor suppressor pathway
in colon cancer and developing new anti-cancer drugs that target
2. Identifying gene mutations involved in colon cancer
3. Identifying cancer biomarkers, particularly aberrantly
methylated DNA molecules, and developing stool and blood tests
for the biomarkers for early cancer detection.
4. Identifying genetic causes and genetic and epigenetic markers
of Barrett's esophagus and Esophageal adenocarcinomas. SPORE website>>
Dr. Sanford Markowitz
Sanford (Sandy) Markowitz is
the Markowitz-Ingalls professorship of Cancer Genetics at the Case
Western Reserve University School of Medicine, and is a medical
oncologist and colon cancer researcher at Case Western Reserve
University who is internationally recognized for his work
identifying key genetics causes of colon cancer and developing
molecular tests for early detection of this disease. Learn more>>
The Colon Cancer and Colon Polyp Family Study
- Help us fight Colon Cancer. Please click below for more information.
Participation is easy and involves no travel
and no special procedures.
Everything can be done by mail.
Participants will be asked to:
* Donate a small sample of
blood, usually just one
* Sign a medical record
release authorization to
allow the study to obtain
documentation of past
colon screening test results.
* Fill out a family history
questionnaire that asks for
the history of any kind of
cancer in the extended
* Call Susan Lewis, study coordinator today at 1-877-993-9936 or locally
at 216-368-0497 >>More
The document has moved here